Conditions of Carriage
Passengers are carried on the Company’s services subject to the following terms and conditions.
"The Company" means Braddell Limited trading as Stansted Citylink, which undertakes the provision of the services. The Company enters into a contract with the passenger upon the following terms and conditions set out for and on behalf of itself, its employees, agents and subcontractors. It is entirely within the discretion of the Company as to who operates the Company’s services.INFORMATION AND PUBLICITY
1. Information Full details of the times and fares of services are available from appointed booking offices and agents and on the internet at www.stanstedcitylink.com. These are subject to variation. Special Holiday timetables may operate on public holidays and passengers are advised to check times with the Company before making travelling arrangements. Relevant publicity material on the Company’s services is available through the Company’s offices and agents. It is the passenger’s responsibility to ensure that the timing of the journey booked arrives in sufficient time to enable onward connections to be made and passengers are advised to allow at least three hours between the scheduled arrival time of the coach and the departure time of any connecting flight. Where information is received, and bookings made, via the Company’s Website (www.stanstedcitylink.com), the Website Terms and Conditions apply.BUYING A TICKET AND SEAT RESERVATIONS
2. Types of journey Tickets may be purchased via the Company’s website or at selected offices or agents. A seat reservation can be made for travel only by booking in advance via the Company’s website. A ticket bearing a valid reservation reference provides travel between the points shown on the date(s) and at the departure time(s) shown on the ticket. A reservation entitles a passenger to a seat on the specified journey but not to any specific seat on the coach. Pre-booked passengers must arrive at the departure point for their journey not less than 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time shown on their ticket otherwise their seat reservation will be void and their seats reallocated to other passengers. In such cases, tickets will remain valid for 24 hours from the scheduled departure time and passengers will be offered seats on the next available journey on a ‘first come, first served’ basis. Ticket holders are not bound or entitled to travel on any particular vehicle, except as set out above. The Company will not be liable for any loss or inconvenience suffered by the holders of tickets without pre-booked reservations owing to their not being able to find accommodation on the particular vehicle on which they desire to travel.
3. Passengers with restricted mobility should indicate whether they are wheelchair users when making their booking. Only one wheelchair space is provided inside each coach. Contact details for such passengers should be provided to the Company when booking. (Please also see ‘Special Needs’ and ‘Wheelchairs’ below).
4. Alterations to tickets Alterations to tickets are only permitted in the event of an error in booking and these must be notified to the Company within 48 hours of making the booking. Tickets may not be altered after the departure date and time. Any alterations are subject to seat availability.
5. Non-web Bookings Authorised Company officials or agents can issue tickets subject to any local rules and regulations governing such sales. Such tickets will only be issued as "open-dated" tickets. The possession of such tickets does not guarantee travel on a particular vehicle or departure timing and travel is subject to seat availability. Passengers with pre-booked reservations have priority over other passengers who are then accepted on a ‘first come, first served’ basis. In the event of dispute, the Company’s staff at the point of departure will resolve the matter in accordance with criteria issued to them by the Company from time to time. If, when buying a return ticket for travel on a reservable journey, no date is specified for a return journey, i.e. an "open-dated" return ticket is purchased, such tickets expire one month after date of issue and must be used within this time frame.TICKETS
6. Your contract with the Company A ticket that has been issued to you is evidence of a contract between you and the Company. If the ticket entitles you to any goods or services from a third party, it is also evidence of a contract between you and that party.
7. You may not transfer your ticket A ticket may only be used by the person for whom it has been bought. It cannot be resold or passed on to anyone else.
8. Requirement to hold a ticket You have the right to use the Company’s services only if you hold a ticket or other authority to travel which is valid for those journeys you want to make. Please retain your ticket for inspection at any time whilst on board the coach.
9. Conditions on which tickets are issued
Each ticket is issued subject to:
- these Conditions;
- any conditions set out in the notices and other publications issued by the Company and
- the conditions set out in the notices and other publications issued by another party if your ticket enables you to use any of their goods or services or upon whose property your journey may start or terminate.
10. Children under 14 years of age and infants must be accompanied on the Company's services by a responsible adult who is a fare paying passenger. Child fares apply to passengers less than 16 years of age. The Company’s staff and agents can request proof of age.
11. One infant aged under 3 years, accompanied by an adult fare-paying passenger, will be carried free of charge. Any additional infants, accompanied by the same adult will be charged at child fares.
12. Concessionary Travel Schemes Unless specifically stated in the Company’s literature or on its website, the Company does not participate in any free or reduced fare concessionary travel schemes.VALIDITY OF TICKETS
13. The period during which you can use a ticket The period during which a ticket is valid is as printed on the ticket or stated in the notices and other publications of the Company or as contained in these Conditions of Carriage.
14. The times you can travel and the services you can use Any reduced or discounted fare tickets may be subject to restrictions such as the dates, days, and times when you can use them, and the services on which they can be used. These restrictions are set out in the notices and other publications of the Company and it is the responsibility of passengers to ensure that they are aware of such. If you travel on a service with a ticket which is not valid on that service because of such a published restriction, you will be required to purchase a full price ticket for the journey made.
15. e-Tickets The following special conditions apply to e-Tickets (i.e. those purchased via the Company’s website, App or other electronic means):
- No refunds or amendments will be made in relation to e-Tickets whether before or after the date of travel (except in case of notified error as above).
- As with any other ticket purchased in relation to travel on any one of the Company's services, e-Tickets are not transferable and are only valid on the journey for which they were booked.
- e-Tickets are like any other ticket purchased in relation to travel on the Company's services - if you cannot produce a valid ticket you will not be able to travel.
If we have reason to suspect the fraudulent use of an e-Ticket, we reserve the right to confiscate or otherwise invalidate it and prevent you from travelling on our services. In such an event we reserve the right to take further proceedings should we see fit. No refund will be made in relation to any e-Ticket confiscated or invalidated under this special condition.USE OF TICKETS
16. Breaking or ending a journey at intermediate places A break of journey is only allowed for interchange purposes. In such instances the passenger must travel on the first available connecting service. Failure to comply will result in the passenger having to purchase a full price ticket for the journey made.
17. If you travel further than your ticket allows If you travel to a place beyond the one specified on your ticket, you will be treated as having joined the coach without a valid ticket for that additional part of your journey and a full price ticket will have to be purchased as if it were a separate journey.
18. Withdrawal of tickets If you fail in a material respect to comply with any condition that governs the use of a ticket, the staff or agents of the Company may withdraw or otherwise invalidate the ticket.REFUNDS
19. Refunds may be requested in the event of a passenger’s dissatisfaction with the service received by presenting the relevant ticket without delay to a Company official at one of the Company’s own ticket sales points and completing a Complaint Form. A refund may be issued on the spot by the Company official in accordance with Company policy, issued to staff from time to time, otherwise the official may refer the request to the Company for a subsequent decision. In other circumstances, or in the event of dissatisfaction with an official’s response, a refund request may be made by writing to the Customer Service Team, Stansted Citylink, ComfortDelGro House, 329 Edgware Road, Cricklewood, London NW2 6JP, United Kingdom, enclosing the relevant ticket(s) and stating the reason for the request. The Company will only consider refunding a ticket if the reason is in some way due to the Company being at fault. Should you choose to travel on another one of our services as a reasonable replacement then no refund will be due. Evidence of extenuating circumstances meaning that you would be unable to travel would be considered on an individual basis without obligation on the part of the Company.
20. No refund will be given on tickets received after the specified outward departure time, except as stated above, unless clear evidence (i.e. medical certificate) is produced of inability to travel on that date. Refunds will not be considered in respect of any ticket after the expiry of 28 days from that date. Refund requests can only be made in writing to the Customer Service Team prior to the first date of travel. No refund will be made for days on which the ticket was used.
21. The Company will not refund or replace lost or stolen tickets. New tickets must be purchased for travel. If the original tickets are found they should be sent to the Customer Service Team as above with the receipt portion of the new ticket and a covering letter, where a refund may be made at the Company’s discretion.
22. The value of any refund will be limited to the original purchase price of the relevant ticket(s) and may be subject to an administration fee, currently £5.00 per ticket, at the Company’s discretion.YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES
23. Please check tickets and change at the time they are issued When you buy a ticket, you should make sure that it is valid for the journey you want to make and that you have received the correct change. If possible, you should tell staff about any apparent errors at that time. If you do not, the Company or agent which sold you the ticket will only consider claims about any errors if you can show to its reasonable satisfaction that an error was made on its part. In the event that a debit or credit card or other form of payment is rejected, tickets purchased by that transaction will be invalid.
24. Arriving in time to board the coach Passengers who have reserved tickets should arrive at the correct departure point for their coach not less than 15 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time. The correct departure point is the actual stop or coach station stand from which the coach will depart.
25. Passengers arriving late Where passengers arrive at the departure point later than 15 minutes before the scheduled departure time, the Company reserves the right to allow other passengers without reserved tickets to board the coach and there is no guarantee that you will be able to travel at that time. No responsibility for any loss can be accepted in such circumstances. The Company may at its absolute discretion permit passengers to use a valid ticket up to 24 hours from the pre-booked departure time subject to capacity being available on a subsequent journey but does not guarantee any priority in such circumstances. Such journey must be made in the same direction and between the same two points as the pre-booked ticket.
26. Make sure you are on the correct coach and that you get off at the right stop You are responsible for making sure that you join the correct coach and that you get off at the right stop.
27. Inspection of tickets You must show and, when required, hand over for inspection and scanning as required, a valid ticket and any accompanying discount card at the request of the staff of the Company or its agent. A ticket which registers as having been used for a previous journey will not be accepted for travel and a new ticket must be purchased. In the event of dispute, passengers are advised to purchase a new ticket and submit a refund request as above.
28. If your ticket is spoiled or altered It must be possible for the barcode/QR on the ticket to be scanned. If a ticket is defaced, damaged or tampered with it is not valid for travel. The Company reserves the right to refuse to issue a replacement ticket in such circumstances.
29. Lost or mislaid tickets A ticket is your evidence of your right to make a journey and its safekeeping is your responsibility.
30. When you have to change coaches If it is necessary to change coaches you will be responsible for your transfer between stops and for the transfer of your luggage. If this is due to the breakdown of a vehicle, passengers must follow any instructions given to them by the Company’s staff to ensure their safety.
31. Making time for connections Passengers must allow plenty of time for their coach journey to arrive in time to connect with other forms of transport provided by other carriers or before an appointment when travelling to important appointments. The Company does not accept responsibility for any delays caused by circumstances beyond our control.
32. Comfort breaks Short halts may be made on some routes for refreshments or other reasons. Passengers must return to the coach punctually within the time allowed for these halts. Coaches may have to proceed without a passenger who fails to rejoin the coach at the prescribed time as set out in the timetable or as announced by the driver. The Company will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by such an occurrence.
33. More than one person travelling on one ticket Where two or more people are included on the same ticket, the person purchasing the ticket shall be deemed to do so on the basis that he or she acts as agent for both or all the members of the party and accepts these conditions on behalf of each member of the party. The party must remain together, unless otherwise directed by a Company official (for example due to capacity on a particular vehicle), or purchase separate tickets if the passengers wish to travel separately, in which case no refund will be given. RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE COMPANY
34. It is the Company’s responsibility to carry the passengers, with the minimum discomfort and inconvenience to the destination shown on the ticket. However sometimes, due to circumstances beyond the Company’s control or for other reasons, coach services are disrupted or cancelled.
35. The Company shall not be in breach of its obligations to carry the passengers if a service is cancelled due to circumstances beyond its reasonable control, which shall be deemed to include, but not be limited to traffic congestion, exceptional severe weather conditions, accidents causing delays on the coach service route, fire and/or damage at a coach station, compliance with requests of the police, deaths and collisions on the road, vandalism and terrorism and acts of God.
36. In the event of any failure by the Company to fulfil its obligations due to a circumstance beyond its reasonable control, the passenger shall be entitled to a refund of their ticket price but the Company shall have no additional liability beyond this.
37. If the Company fails to carry the passenger to their destination as shown on their ticket for any reason not otherwise excluded (for instance, and in particular due to a mechanical breakdown of the Company’s coach), the Company shall, at its own expense and discretion as to the means, arrange or provide alternative transport, usually another coach, to complete the journey as soon as reasonably practical having regard to the circumstances. Provided that the Company does so within a reasonable time, it shall have no other liability as a result of any delay in performing its obligations.
38. Limitation of Liability for Breach of Contract Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained in these terms, the Company’s liability for any failure on its part to carry the passenger to the destination shown on the ticket shall be limited to reimbursing the passenger for the reasonable cost of alternative travel to such destination by public transport and the passenger shall be reimbursed on submission by registered post or electronic means to the Company’s office at ComfortDelGro House, 329 Edgware Road, Cricklewood, London NW2 6JP, United Kingdom of the appropriate receipt or other voucher for the cost of such travel, together with their original Stansted Citylink ticket. In particular, but without prejudice to the above paragraph, the Company shall have no liability for any consequential losses of the passenger as a result of failure by the Company to fulfil its obligations for example but without limitation, passengers missing flights or other onward connections.ON BOARD COMFORT
In the interest of all passengers the following "comfort" rules will apply:
39. Noise/entertainment. The playing on coaches and in coach stations of radios, cassette or CD players, personal stereos, musical instruments is not permitted. However, provided that the driver of a coach is satisfied that the sound of a personal stereo does not cause offence or inconvenience either to himself or to the other passengers, he may allow an exception to this requirement. A coach is a confined area and passengers should only use mobile telephones where essential. Where ‘wi-fi’ is provided on its coach, the Company cannot give any undertakings as to the quality of the signal, available bandwidth, download speed or continuity of such a service.
40. Alcoholic drinks. Passengers are not permitted to take alcoholic drinks onto coaches for the purpose of consuming them on board, nor to drink such drinks on the coach or to remain on the coach when in the opinion of the driver they are under the influence of alcoholic drink. Any container of alcohol must remain sealed at all times when on board the coach.
41. No Smoking policy. Passengers are not permitted to smoke, including substitute smoking materials such as electronic cigarettes, on board any vehicle operated by the Company and in all coach stations/shelters (except where it is indicated that smoking is expressly permitted). The Company is entitled to request offending passengers to remove themselves from the coach or coach station/shelter if they do not comply with a request to desist from smoking.
42. Drug and Solvent abuse. Passengers are not permitted to board or remain on board any of the Company’s services whilst under the influence of drugs and/or solvents.
43. Special Needs. Certain seats or wheelchair areas may be reserved for passengers with restricted mobility or other special needs. Passengers should always comply with any requests from staff to make such seats available. Any special requirements should be made known to the Company at least 48 hours in advance of travelling.
44. Wheelchairs. Wherever possible, the Company will assist passengers using wheelchairs. One wheelchair user per coach may be accommodated inside the vehicle provided that the wheelchair does not exceed 1200mm x 700mm in size and the space has been booked in advance. The wheelchair must be appropriately positioned and secured. Folding wheelchairs will be carried where possible; however battery-powered wheelchairs cannot be carried unless they can be safely stowed in disassembled parts in the luggage compartment of the coach. In each case, the weight of each unit must not exceed 20kg. The Company can offer no guarantee that a member of staff trained in the correct lifting and handling of the wheelchair bound passenger will be available to offer assistance. It is therefore incumbent on the passenger to make suitable arrangements to have a qualified person available to assist at boarding, departing or connecting point unless confirmed arrangements have been made in advance with the Company. The final decision regarding the safe carriage of wheelchairs and their occupants rests with the Company staff present at the time of boarding, in line with guidance issued by the Company from time to time.
45. Food & Beverages. Passengers are not allowed to take onto our coaches any hot food or beverages e.g. chips, take-away meals, coffee, tea etc. We are entitled to refuse access to any passenger with hot food or beverages. Passengers are requested not to leave litter on the coach but to dispose of it responsibly.
46. The Company reserves the right to refuse entry or to remove from the Company's vehicle(s) any passenger who shall be or, in the opinion of the driver or other Company official, appears to be in breach of any of these comfort rules. Travel may also be denied, either at the time of the incident or subsequently, to any passenger who is abusive, violent or threatening to any member of staff or other person. Any passenger so refused or removed shall not be entitled to any refund or compensation whatsoever from the Company and the Company shall have no liability to such passenger whatsoever.LUGGAGE AND PERSONAL PROPERTY
47. Neither the Company nor its servants, agents or subcontractors are common carriers and luggage and personal property for carriage will only be accepted on these conditions.
48. We reserve the right to refuse to carry in the hold more than two medium sized (70 x 30 x 45 cm) suitcases, rucksacks or similar package of luggage weighing not more than 20kgs each and more than one small bag inside the coach. Additional luggage may be carried subject to accommodation being available within the vehicle as determined by the driver or other Company official, in which case excess luggage will be subject to a charge of £5 per item. Luggage carried inside the coach must not obstruct any gangway or exit.
49. Large/hazrdous luggage items The Company reserves the right to refuse trunks or other bulky articles, or articles of an objectionable or dangerous nature or which have sharp or protruding edges which may tear or damage other luggage with which it is packed within the coach. The Company is also entitled to request any passenger to open any article of luggage for inspection by the driver or other authorised employee of the Company in the presence of the passenger if, for reasons of security, the Company considers it necessary to do so. Subject to availability of accommodation and payment of the appropriate charge, bicycles and skis/surfboards will be carried provided they are packed in such a way as to prevent damage to other luggage. Fragile items such as electronic goods, portable televisions, radios etc. will only be carried if they are of reasonable size and securely packed. The Company will not be responsible for any damage to such items howsoever caused. Luggage of a potentially hazardous nature (including without limitation weapons, firearms, explosives or flammable items) is not permitted to be carried on any coach without the express permission of a Company official.
50. Passengers are responsible for getting themselves and their luggage onto the correct service. Medication and valuables should not be stowed in the luggage hold but taken on board. If the Company’s staff assists with luggage, it remains the passenger’s responsibility to see it on and off the coach. The passenger must also look after his or her luggage at all times including whilst at coach stations, stops and on the coach.
51. Luggage given into the custody of the Company must be clearly and appropriately labelled and securely packed and locked/fastened. The passenger's name, destination and contact telephone number should be shown on the outside of the luggage.
52. The Company will not be liable for loss or damage to passengers luggage or to any possessions of the passenger unless such a loss or damage is caused by negligence on the part of the Company, its servants or agents; and, in the event of the Company being liable for loss or damage under this clause, its liability in such case shall be limited to the sum of £100 for any single claim. Where an item of luggage contains items belonging to more than one person, only one claim will be considered by the Company. The Company's liability will be limited to £25 for any one item within the luggage lost or damaged. The Company will not be liable for any monetary loss whatsoever. This includes currency, valuable securities such as cheques, money orders, premium bonds and certificates and all other items which may be valued in money or money's worth. The Company recommends passengers to insure their luggage and personal property.
53. Loss of luggage or personal property must be notified immediately to a Company employee and also to the local Police Station. The Company reserves the right to levy a charge for storage and return of lost property in accordance with the applicable regulations. Any lost property which is unclaimed will be disposed of after 60 days, although property considered to be perishable or hazardous may be disposed of immediately. Any item of luggage which may be the cause of cause of concern from a security viewpoint may be passed to the police or other competent authority which could result in its destruction. The Company will accept no liability in respect of the safe keeping of lost or unattended luggage except as detailed above.CARRIAGE OF ANIMALS
54. Animals, other than guide dogs accompanying registered blind persons and hearing dogs accompanying deaf persons, with suitable identification, will not be carried on the Company’s services.
55. If an animal is taken on board without the driver’s permission the passenger will be required to remove it.GENERAL
56. The published journey times of services are approximate only and the Company does not undertake that services will start or arrive at the time specified in its timetables or on its website or that such services will connect with any other services shown as connecting services.
57. Except as provided in these terms, the Company will not be held liable for any loss howsoever arising or caused as a result of any delay to such services or by the same not operating in accordance with their published timings.
58. The Company reserves the right to alter its timetables or suspend, cancel or withdraw services or departures or other facilities without notice, whether before or after a passenger has booked accommodation on the same.
59. The right is reserved to provide carriage between the points stated on the ticket issued to the passenger by means other than the vehicles scheduled to run on the journeys to which the ticket relates.
60. Any arrangements for hotel accommodation, meals, refreshments, admissions to or for the use of premises, vehicles (including coaches), trains, ferries, aircraft or other means of conveyance operated by persons or bodies other than the Company are made by the Company as agent for and on behalf of the passenger, on the express condition that the Company shall not be liable for any loss, damage, injury, delay or inconvenience howsoever caused to the passenger as a result of any such arrangements for such matters or use thereof. Such arrangements are subject to any by-laws, regulations or conditions of the provider of the facility.
61. Applicable law Any ticket sold or arrangement entered into on behalf of the passenger is on the condition that the laws of England shall apply to the contract arising and to the determination of the rights and liabilities of the respective parties and that no action or other proceedings shall be brought by either party in relation to the contract or for damages independent of such contract except in a court of competent jurisdiction in England. Unless otherwise stated in these Conditions of Carriage, no person other than the passenger or the Company shall have the benefit of, or be entitled to rely upon or enforce any term of any contract of carriage between these parties. Any reference herein to gender shall include all genders, and singular and plural shall apply according to context.